At Danville Family Dentistry, not only is it important to treat our Hendricks County patients with high quality care, but we like to educate them, too, about dental health. When you know more about oral health, you’re more empowered to live a healthier life. Below are 10 interesting dental facts you may not know:
- People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda a day have more tooth decay, fillings, and tooth loss (by as much as 62%). Therefore, put down the pop and sports drinks. Drink water instead.
- Over a lifetime, the average American spends 38.5 total days brushing their teeth.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body. But that doesn’t mean you can use your teeth to open a bottle cap!
- When you don’t floss, you can miss cleaning 40% of the surfaces of your teeth. For that reason, you should brush twice a day and floss daily
- Whatever side is your dominant one, that’s the side you’ll chew on, too. Therefore, if you’re right-handed, you’ll chew your food on your right side. If you’re left-handed, you’ll chew your food on your left side.
- 78% of Americans will have had at least one cavity by the age of 17. That’s why it’s important Hendricks County kids brush their teeth twice a day.
- Only two-thirds of each tooth is visible. The remaining one-third of each tooth is beneath your gums. That’s why it’s essential to take care of your gums, so you can prevent gum disease and tooth loss.
- 60% of people don’t know a sore jaw, when combined with chest pain, can signal a heart attack, especially in women. Now you know!
- Smokers are three times more likely than non-smokers to lose all their teeth. Therefore, we can’t stress enough how important it is to quit smoking.
- Every year, on average, each person chews about 280 sticks of gum. Just make sure it’s sugar-free.
Here’s Another Interesting Dental Fact …
In 2016, about 74 million Americans didn’t have dental insurance coverage. If you’re one of these people, you probably don’t visit the dentist as frequently as you should. This means you’re missing an opportunity for preventative dental care and early treatment, which is important. People without dental insurance are more likely to have gum disease, need tooth extractions, and require dentures.
For Hendricks County patients without dental insurance, Danville Family Dentistry offers our Smile Savings Plan. While it’s not dental insurance, this patient-courtesy program enables qualified patients to receive a set amount of dental services within a year for a low annual fee. The Smile Savings Plan includes:
- 2 professional dental cleanings.
- 2 oral exams.
- Regularly scheduled X-rays.
- 2 fluoride treatments for children, ages 16 and under.
- 15% off any other dental care provided by Danville Family Dentistry, including fillings, extractions, dentures, and more.
For more information about our Smile Savings Plan, contact Danville Family Dentistry at 317-745-4400.
Get your dental facts straight – and let us help you maintain a healthy smile!
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.