We don’t know anyone in Hendricks County who doesn’t want a dazzling smile. After all, your smile is one of your best assets; it’s one of the first things people notice about you. But you can’t achieve a healthy smile overnight.
Here are 15 easy things you can begin doing immediately to improve the appearance and health of your teeth:
- Brush your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste at least twice a day for two to three minutes.
- Floss your teeth once a day. Flossing removes plaque between your teeth and from under your gum line, where a toothbrush can’t reach.
- Keep an eye on your gums. Watch for red or tender gums, gum recession and gums that bleed. See Dr. Jon Erickson at Danville Family Dentistry right away if you see any of these signs of gum disease.
- Consider whitening yellow or stained teeth to return them to a brighter color.
- Eat a well-balanced diet. Include fruits, veggies and dairy products containing vitamins A and C and calcium for healthier gums and stronger teeth.
- Limit snacks, especially sugary sweets that can cause tooth decay.
- Drink plenty of water to flush your teeth clean and discourage tooth decay.
- Limit the amount of soda and sports drinks you consume. Soda and sports drinks can wear away your teeth’s enamel due to their high concentration of acids.
- Reduce the amount of stain-causing beverages you drink, such as red wine and coffee, since they can discolor your teeth.
- Wear a mouth guard when playing sports that could harm your mouth.
- Quit smoking and chewing tobacco, which can contribute to gum disease and oral cancer.
- Wear a night guard if you grind your teeth while you sleep. Teeth grinding can prematurely weaken and wear your teeth down over time.
- Visit the Hendricks County office of Danville Family Dentistry regularly for preventative checkups and cleanings. Dr. Erickson can identify tooth decay and other oral health problems before they get worse.
- Schedule an appointment immediately if you develop a cavity. By treating tooth decay early, you’re less likely to need invasive dental procedures done, which will also save you money.
- Sign up for Danville Family Dentistry’s Smile Savings Plan if you don’t have dental health insurance. For just $275 a year, you can receive preventative dental services at our Hendricks County office for a year. You’ll get 2 professional dental cleanings, 2 professional oral evaluations, and regularly scheduled dental X-rays. Plus, you’ll receive 15% off of other dental care procedures provided by Danville Family Dentistry, such as fillings, tooth extractions, dentures and more. Contact Danville Family Dentistry at 317-745-4400 to learn more about our Smile Savings Plan.