Everyone living in Hendricks County is guilty of having bad habits — some they may not even be aware of having. This includes bad dental habits that can affect their teeth. Whether you realize it or not, these bad dental habits can cause you to chip, crack or break a tooth. Over time, these bad dental habits can cause the enamel on your teeth to erode, your jawbone to deteriorate and gum disease to develop. You may even lose a tooth.
By becoming aware of the 5 bad dental habits below, you can take action to reduce or stop these damaging behaviors.
- Eating sticky, sugary candy. The acid-producing bacteria in your mouth love to feed on the sugars in candy. Some of the worst candies you can eat are sticky candies like gummy worms, jelly beans or Tootsie rolls. These candies stick to your teeth longer and can lead to tooth decay. To curb your sugar cravings, try sugarless candies or fresh fruit instead.
- Drinking sugary soda. Sodas can contain up to 11 teaspoons of sugar per serving. Most Hendricks County residents indulge in more than one serving at a time. Sodas also have phosphoric and citric acids that can cause tooth enamel erosion. Instead of drinking sodas, drink more water.
- Chewing on ice. Crunching on hard ice cubes can cause you to chip or crack a tooth. If you want to chew on something, try sugarless gum instead.
- Opening containers with your teeth. Your teeth were not designed to be used as a bottle opener or scissors. When you use your teeth as a tool, you run the risk of cracking or chipping them. Use the right tool for the job instead.
- Avoiding dental appointments. Our staff at Danville Family Dentistry realizes that a lot of Hendricks County residents miss dental appointments because they don’t have dental insurance to help cover their expenses. That’s why Danville Family Dentistry offers our Smile Savings Plan, a patient-courtesy program for those patients who don’t have dental insurance. You simply pay an annual fee of $275 (adults and children) to receive a set amount of dental services for a year.
The Smile Savings Plan includes:
- Two professional cleanings
- Two professional oral evaluations
- Regularly scheduled X-rays
- Two fluoride treatments a year for children ages 16 and under
- 15% off of any other dental care provided in our office
Contact Danville Family Dentistry at 317-745-4400 for more details about this program and to sign up.
Start breaking those bad dental habits today, so you can keep your smile healthy – longer.