Does the thought of going to the dentist make you nervous? If so, you’re not the only one in Hendricks County!. A 2009 survey by the American Association of Endodontists found that 80% of adult Americans are afraid of dentists and suffer dental anxiety; and over half of these people say their fear keeps them from going to the dentist.
Some reasons why people are afraid to visit a dentist include:
- The fear of pain.
- The fear of helplessness or not being in control.
- Painful or unpleasant dental experiences in the past.
- Being embarrassed about the condition of their teeth.
- Fear of injections, drills, gagging, or x-rays.
- Believing the “horror stories” of others about their dental experiences.
However, if you never visit a Hendricks County dentist due to dental anxiety or fear, you have a greater likelihood of getting gum disease and/or losing a tooth. Plus, poor dental care or tooth loss can lead to more serious health problems like heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Therefore, it’s important to come see Dr. Erickson at Danville Family Dentistry at least once a year even if you’re nervous about the appointment.
Overcome Dental Anxiety with these Strategies
If you suffer from dental anxiety or fear, we suggest you try some of these tips to help you feel more comfortable and relaxed during your visit.
- Visit Danville Family Dentistry before your first appointment to tour the office and get to know Dr. Erickson and his staff.
- Talk with Dr. Erickson or his staff before your dental appointment about your fears and to get more information about specific procedures to reduce your anxiety.
- Schedule your dental appointment for a day and time when you’re not feeling rushed.
- Have a Hendricks County friend or relative you trust come with you to the appointment.
- Talk to Dr. Erickson about the use of anti-anxiety medication or sedation, and if it’s appropriate for your procedure.
- Bring a music player and headphones to your appointment, so you can listen to music during your visit. Studies show listening to soothing music during times of high stress can help you relax.
- Establish some hand signals with Dr. Erickson to let him know when you’re in pain or discomfort, or if you just need to take a break.
- Practice relaxation techniques like deep breathing.
Dr. Erickson and the staff at Danville Family Dentistry understand that some Hendricks County patients experience anxiety when they come in for a dental visit. So they strive to help every patient feel relaxed and comfortable during their appointment. If you have any concerns, please let Dr. Erickson or his staff know about them before your dental procedure, so they can discuss them with you.
Don’t let your dental anxiety ruin your smile, schedule your appointment today!