Are you stumped during the holidays, at birthdays, or for other gift-giving occasions on what to give family members as a present? Maybe you want to make the occasion fun, but also healthy. Or, maybe you prefer giving them something useful or practical. While tooth-friendly gifts may not be at the top of your loved ones’ wish list, good oral hygiene isn’t a fad or something that will quickly go out of style. Everyone in Hendricks County wants to have a healthy, dazzling smile.
Therefore, here are some tooth-friendly gifts that you can give family members during the holidays or for other year-round occasions that will promote better oral health:
- Dental floss. Looking for a little something to slip in a stocking or to add to a gift basket? Toss in some dental floss. To make the gift more festive, why not give flavored floss? Dental floss comes in a variety of flavors from bacon to cupcake to coffee. Make daily flossing fun for someone you love.
- Floss threader. If your loved one wears braces or a dental bridge, they may have a hard time flossing. Floss threaders are tools that can help them floss more easily and effectively.
- Toothbrush. Hendricks County residents should replace their toothbrushes every 3 to 4 months when the bristles wear down. Therefore, a new toothbrush is a perfect reason to get rid of that old one. Make brushing more fun – especially for little ones – with brushes that vibrate, light up, or feature their favorite cartoon characters. Musical toothbrushes can help your kids know exactly how long they need to brush to get their teeth clean. Or, consider getting your family member an electric toothbrush, so you’ll know they’re getting the ultimate, at-home, teeth cleaning. Just make sure to select a toothbrush with soft bristles and that’s the right size for your loved one’s mouth. Also, be sure to look for the American Dental Association seal of approval, so you know you’re getting a toothbrush that’s been approved by dentists.
- Flavored toothpaste. With flavors like strawberry, watermelon, raspberry, and more, flavored toothpaste makes twice a day brushing more enjoyable – and tasty.
- Sports mouth guard. If your child plays a contact sport, mouth guards can help protect their teeth from damage due to a stray ball or an unintended elbow to the mouth. While you can purchase a variety of over-the-counter mouth guard options at the store, a custom mouth guard made by Dr. Jon Erickson at Danville Family Dental will provide your child with a better fit for greater protection.
- Healthy treats and snacks. Holidays and special occasions are often associated with cakes, pies, cookies, and candy. While it’s fine to have sweets occasionally, if your family member wants to keep tooth decay in check, you may want to give them healthy treats and snacks like a fruit basket or sugar-free candy and/or gum. These types of treats help promote saliva flow, which helps to neutralize acids that attack tooth enamel.
- Smile Savings Plan. If your family member is going without dental care, because they don’t have dental insurance, the Smile Savings Plan at Danville Family Dentistry can be a great gift option for them. This patient-courtesy program provides patients with a set amount of dental services for one year. For a low annual fee, your loved one will receive two oral exams, two dental cleanings, and regularly scheduled X-rays. They’ll also receive 15% off any other dental care procedures we provide. Contact our Hendricks County office at 317-745-4400 to learn more about this program.
With a little ingenuity, tooth-friendly gifts for your loved ones can be both fun and healthy.
To prevent tooth decay, just remind them to brush their teeth twice a day and floss once a day, especially after eating any delicious holiday or festive meals or treats. Also, remember to schedule regular dental check-ups with Danville Family Dentistry, so your loved ones can have healthy, happy smiles all year round.
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.