Many people want the appeal of a brilliantly white teeth in their smile. However, many are mistaken in thinking that is a single service provided by a dentist. To achieve a dazzling white smile, it’s important to maintain habits that support your whitening service. Keeping your smile white should be something you do more than just a few times a year—it should be something you should be paying attention to every day.
Regular Maintenance for White Teeth
To keep your smile white, you cannot ignore the daily cleaning habits you should be practicing. Proper brushing, thorough flossing, and using effective mouth rinse are all key components to achieving a white smile. Since your dentist has been telling you this since your first appointment, hopefully you already understood the importance of these habits!
Here are a few tips about daily habits that you might not have considered to keep your teeth white:
- Brush your teeth after meals. Removing the foods you’ve eaten from your teeth soon afterwards will lessen their likelihood to color your teeth.
- Consider your snacks. The more you snack, the more you’re exposing your teeth. Additional, think about what you’re eating. Gummy, sticky, sugary foods and drinks can allow bacteria to adhere more easily to your teeth, which can affect their whiteness. Some fruits and vegetables can be beneficial to your white teeth goal.
- Drinking plenty of water is good for your body’s health, your mouth’s health, and preserving the pigmentation of your teeth. Regularly drinking water helps flush away other foods or drinks you’ve had and doesn’t allow for the remnants to stick to and stain your teeth.
- Refrain from tobacco usage. Smoking, vaping, and chewing tobacco all introduce harmful chemicals to your teeth and mouth. They also allow for a buildup of bacteria, which allows stains to build up on your teeth.
- Be careful with coffee. Coffee is a common culprit for staining teeth. Consider drinking iced coffee through a straw to minimize the interaction between coffee and your teeth.
- Keep healthy dental habits. Brush at least twice a day and floss at least once. Make sure the toothbrush you are using is in good condition.
If you choose to enhance the whiteness of your teeth through treatments, it’s important to consider what treatments are going to be most effective. It is also important to note that if you’ve had dental work that includes veneers, crowns, fillings, or other materials that whitening treatments may not work well. Bleach will not affect these manufactured materials, which would make the whitening look uneven.
If you do consider a whitening treatment, here are some possible options to consider:
Gel whitening kits
These kits include a peroxide-based gel that can either be brushed onto your teeth or placed in a mold that the teeth sit in for a period of time. These kits often have to be a used daily for a week or more for full effectiveness.
Often less effective, whitening strips are another option for whitening your teeth. These strips are thin and adhere to your teeth for a matter of minutes daily for a week or more. While they are considered easy to use, the strips often do not extend to the base of the tooth near the gum. This is the area that is most susceptible to stains.
Professional whitening service
Ask your dentist about professional whitening services that can be done in his or her office.
To ensure you are choosing the best habits and methods to keep your teeth white, make sure to discuss your goals with your dentist. He or she can assist you with a plan to help whiten your teeth without damaging the enamel. Schedule an appointment with us to learn more.
Are you on Facebook? We are, too! Let’s be friends!
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.