Are you retiring soon? That’s great news! However, many Hendricks County retirees don’t think about their dental care needs after retirement before they actually retire.
The facts are: Less than 10% of retirees will have dental insurance after retirement. Many seniors don’t realize that Medicare doesn’t cover routine dental care. And, even if you qualify for Medicaid – which lots people don’t, only four states (Indiana isn’t one of them) offer a comprehensive dental benefit. Therefore, you need to plan for your dental care expenses before you retire, so your dental health doesn’t suffer once you’re on a fixed income.
Unfortunately, the lack of dental care coverage tends to lead to poor dental health once seniors retire. Only about 45% of seniors 75 years and older report going to the dentist. Approximately 20% of adults age 65 and older have untreated tooth decay. And periodontal disease is common in the elderly. Additionally, over one in four seniors over age 65 have no teeth.
What Can Seniors Do to Ensure They Receive Good Dental Care?
Following retirement, here are some possible dental care solutions for Hendricks County seniors:
- Consider buying private dental insurance. Of course, the premiums will be higher, but it may be worth it since an in-network dentist will charge you discounted rates. Therefore, your coverage will go further.
- Go to a dental school. Dental schools offer dental services for less than money, so students can get hands-on experience performing these treatments. However, the waiting list can be quite long. So, you may have to wait several months before you can get in to be seen.
- Look for local resources. Your local Agency on Aging or senior center may be able to recommend organizations that offer discounted dental care or free dental clinics.
- Sign up for Danville Family Dentistry’s dental membership plan. Danville Family Dentistry offers a patient-courtesy program for our patients without dental insurance. Our Smile Savings Plan provides you with a set amount of dental services for one year. For a low annual fee, you can receive 2 oral exams, 2 professional dental cleanings, and regularly scheduled X-rays. If you require additional dental care, you’ll receive 15% off our services. For more information on our Smile Saving Plan or to sign up, contact our Hendricks County office at 317-745-4400.
- Stay healthy. If you want to avoid pricey dental care procedures, the best way is to take care of your teeth. This means brushing your teeth at least twice a day, flossing daily, and maintaining a healthy diet. If you’re unable to brush or floss every day, ask your caregivers to do it for you.
- Don’t put off seeing a dentist if you’re experiencing pain. Schedule an appointment at Danville Family Dentistry if you’re experiencing tooth pain. When you put off seeing Dr. Jon Erickson, you can actually make the problem worse, and you could end up losing a tooth. At Danville Family Dentistry, we work with Care Credit to provide third-party financing options for your dental care needs. Click here to learn more.
Once you retire, it’s important to continue your dental care. Even if you don’t have dental insurance, solutions are available. Just take the time to consider your options.
You can keep your smile beautiful no matter your age!
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.