Having a beautiful smile can affect how people perceive and interact with you. After all, your smile is one of the first things people notice about you. Additionally, your oral hygiene can affect your overall health, too. According to the Mayo Clinic, bacteria in your mouth can contribute to development of heart disease, strokes, and clogged arteries. That’s why it’s important that you need to take care of your teeth and gums to keep them healthy.
Danville Family Dentistry is dedicated to helping Hendricks County residents keep their smiles looking great throughout their lifetime. Therefore, here are some things you can do to maintain a pristine smile.
- Brush Your Teeth Twice a Day. Tooth brushing helps remove dental plaque that can cause tooth decay and gum disease. When you brush your teeth, use a toothpaste containing fluoride. Use a soft toothbrush with round, nylon bristles. Don’t brush too hard or quickly to reduce your risk of harming your teeth’s enamel and your gums. Make sure you brush your teeth for 2 minutes to ensure your teeth are thoroughly cleaned.
- Floss Your Teeth Daily. Brushing alone only cleans about 65% of your teeth’s surfaces. Flossing helps remove plaque and food debris in between your teeth. Plaque and tartar buildup can cause gum disease, which can lead to bone destruction and tooth loss.
- Avoid Foods that Can Harm or Stain Your Teeth. Sugar in soft drinks can lead to tooth decay while the high acid levels can cause tooth erosion. Foods and drinks like berries, coffee, tea, and red wine can stain your teeth. Drink through a straw to reduce your exposure to high acid levels and stains.
- Don’t Smoke or Chew Tobacco. Besides being bad for your health, tobacco can cause dark stains on your teeth.
- Don’t Use Your Teeth as a Tool. When you use your teeth to open bags, cut thread, and to do other things, you run the risk of chipping or damaging your teeth. Use the right tool for the intended job instead.
- Visit Danville Family Dentistry for Routine Exams and Cleanings. Come into our Hendricks County office to see Dr. Jon Erickson for an oral exam and professional cleaning twice a year. Regular dental exams enable Dr. Erickson catch oral health issues early before they become a bigger problem. Routine cleanings help remove plaque and tartar buildup while keeping your smile beautiful.
- Improve Your Smile by Having Cosmetic Dental Procedures. Don’t like the way your smile looks because of stains, or chipped or missing teeth? Cosmetic dentistry procedures, like tooth bonding, porcelain veneers, dental crowns, and implants, can improve the appearance of your teeth and give you the smile you’ve always wanted.
How to Have a Dazzling Smile if You Don’t Have Dental Insurance
If you don’t have dental insurance, you can still follow our advice above for points 1 through 5 to keep your smile looking great. But what do you do about having routine exams, cleanings, and other dental procedures done?
Danville Family Dentistry has a solution for you – our Smile Savings Plan. For a low annual fee, qualified patients can get the following dental care services for one year:
- 2 professional dental cleanings
- 2 professional oral evaluations
- Routinely scheduled X-rays
For any other dental care provided by our Hendricks County office, you’ll receive a discount of 15%.
To schedule an appointment at Danville Family Dentistry or to learn more about our Smile Savings Plan, contact our staff at 317-745-4400.
Keep your mouth happy and healthy for a lifetime of smiles!
Disclaimer: The information included in this article is for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.