Most people in Hendricks County only go to see their dentist twice a year. While it may seem like all you need to do at your dental visit is to show up and open your mouth wide, it’s important to be prepared before your appointment. Advanced preparation helps you to maximize your time with the staff at Danville Family Dentistry and get the most from your office visit.
Here are 7 things you can do to have a more productive dental visit:
- Make a list of your questions and concerns. It’s easy to forget what you want to talk about with Dr. Jon Erickson once you’re sitting in the dental chair. Therefore, write down your questions and concerns beforehand and bring your list with you to your appointment.
- Update us on your medical history. Your oral health and overall health are strongly connected. Therefore, make sure we have your complete medical history – especially if you’re a new patient. If anything has changed since your last visit, such as you’re pregnant or you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes or another medical condition, let us know. The more Dr. Erickson knows about your medical history, the more he’ll be able to give you personalized care.
- Make a list of all the medications, vitamins and supplements you take and give it to our staff. Certain medications and supplements can cause issues like dry mouth, which can increase your risk of tooth decay and gum problems. Or, these medications can thin your blood, increasing your risk of bleeding while having dental work done.
- Take notes. After your appointment, it may be hard to remember everything your hygienist or Dr. Erickson said during your dental visit at our Hendricks County office. To help you remember, jog down some notes.
- Answer honestly. While it may be easy to fib about flossing or other oral health matters, it’s not a good idea. By telling the truth, Dr. Erickson can provide you with the best oral care.
- Ask for advice. If you need help with your brushing or flossing technique, let us know. We’ll be happy to provide you with instruction. Or, if you have questions about specific oral hygiene products, just ask. We want to make your oral hygiene easy and effective for you.
- If money is tight, ask about our Smile Savings Plan. Your preventative dental care is important to us. However, if your budget is keeping you from your dental visits, our Smile Savings Plan may be able to help. This patient-courtesy program is for people without dental insurance. For an annual membership of $285, you’ll receive 2 professional oral evaluations, 2 professional cleanings, regularly scheduled X-rays, and 15% off any other dental care provided in our office for a year. For children 16 and under, the Smile Savings Plan also includes 2 fluoride treatments in the annual price. For more details about this program and to sign up, contact our Hendricks County staff at 317-745-4400.
By following these tips to get the most out of your dental visit to Danville Family Dentistry, you make it easier for Dr. Erickson to provide you with the best dental care possible, so you’ll have a healthier smile.