At Danville Family Dentistry, we know that most oral diseases can be prevented. If Hendricks County residents brush and floss their teeth daily and visit our office regularly, their oral health will most likely be good. And even if you have a cavity or two, with the improvements in dentistry over the last few decades, you still should be all right.
But it’s frustrating for our dental team to see statistics like the ones below, because we know with preventative dental care, these figures wouldn’t be so high.
Do you know these oral health statistics and facts?
- Almost 18% of children (ages 5-19) years have untreated cavities.
- 91% of adults (ages 20-64 years) have cavities and 27% have untreated tooth decay.
- About 1 in 5 adults (65 years and older) have untreated tooth decay.
- Over 47% of adults (30 years and older) have some form of periodontal disease.
- Over 70% of adults (65 years and older) have periodontal disease.
- 25% of adults (65 years and older) have lost all their teeth.
- 17% of children (ages 2-17 years) didn’t visit the dentist in the past year.
- Over 38% of adults (aged 18-64) didn’t go to the dentist in the past year.
- 39% of adults ages 65 and over didn’t have a dental visit in the past year.
- About 45 million adults don’t have dental insurance coverage.
- Cost is the main reason why adults (ages 18-64) don’t go to the dentist when they have an oral health problem.
Some ways that Hendricks County residents can keep from becoming an oral health statistic is to:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Floss daily.
- Visit Danville Family Dentistry regularly for scheduled check-ups.
By following these steps, you can help preserve your teeth and keep from having to undergo uncomfortable and costly dental procedures to fix your teeth.
If the lack of dental insurance is keeping you from having regular check-ups, consider investing in Danville Family Dentistry’s Smile Savings Plan. For adults and children, an annual fee of $275 enables qualified patients to have 2 professional oral evaluations and dental cleanings a year. Children also receive 2 fluoride treatments a year. Plus, you’ll receive regularly scheduled X-rays. And if you need more extensive dental work, you’ll receive 15% off of the treatment cost.
Your oral health is important. You only have one set of teeth, so make sure you take care of them. Call our Hendricks County office for more information on our Smile Savings Plan.