Have you ever been out and about in Hendricks County, talking to someone, and you wonder, “What’s that smell?” Then you realize the person you are talking to has bad breath. If it’s someone you don’t know well, bad breath can be a big turn-off. But if they’re a good friend, you might be more understanding and offer them some mints or sugarless gum.
We all have bad breath from time to time. But unless someone tells you that you have it, you may not even realize it. Bad breath, which is a medical condition known as halitosis, can be the result of poor dental health or unhealthy lifestyle habits. It may even be a sign that you have a health problem.
Three common causes of bad breath include:
- Foods and drinks — Everything you eat or drink is digested and absorbed into your bloodstream. Eventually, it is carried to your lungs, where the odor is given off through your breath. You can brush or floss your teeth, and even use mouthwash, but until foods and drinks with strong odors like garlic, onions, cheese, beer and coffee pass through your digestive system, your bad breath will remain.
- Poor dental hygiene habits – When you don’t brush or floss regularly, food particles left in your mouth begin to rot and stink. Plus, bacteria can form, which smells bad, too.
- Smoking and other tobacco use – In addition to staining your teeth, tobacco-based products can cause foul odors.
To reduce or prevent bad breath, you should see Dr. Jon Erickson regularly at Danville Family Dentistry, located in Hendricks County. However, if you don’t have dental insurance, don’t let that keep you from visiting our office. Our Smile Savings Plan provides members with a set amount of dental services for a year. For $275 annually, you can receive:
- 2 professional dental cleanings.
- 2 professional oral evaluations.
- Regularly scheduled radiographs or X-rays.
Also, members receive 15% off other dental procedures provided by our Hendricks County staff. So if your bad breath is caused by an abscessed tooth or gum disease, you can get the dental care you need at a discounted rate.
Don’t ignore bad breath or cover it up! Have it checked out by calling Danville Family Dentistry today. And for more information about our Smile Savings Plan, ask our staff. They’ll be happy to answer your questions.