February is National Children’s Dental Health Month. At Danville Family Dentistry in Hendricks County, we feel it’s important that you teach your children about the importance of good oral health. When your children develop good dental habits at an early age and regularly come into our office for dental visits, they can establish good oral health behaviors that lead to a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
The next time your children brush their teeth engage them in a conversation. Ask them why they think it’s important to have healthy teeth. Some reasons they might give include:
- They’ll have a nicer, brighter smile, so they look and feel better about themselves.
- Their breath will smell fresher.
- They’ll be able to eat. After all, it’s difficult to eat when you’re missing teeth.
- They’ll be able to talk easier. Have them say “Teeth are for Keeping.” Ask them what parts of their mouth they use to make the different sounds. Then have them say the sentence again without letting their tongue touch their teeth. Ask them if it was easier or harder to talk and be understood clearly. Emphasize the fact that our teeth play an important role in our ability to talk.
Next, talk with them about what keeps their teeth from being healthy. When they eat, sticky, colorless plaque forms on their teeth. This plaque contains bacteria which makes acid and causes cavities to develop in the enamel of their teeth. When they get a cavity, they have to visit the Hendricks County office of Dr. Jon Erickson, so he can remove the decay and place a filling in their tooth to repair it. Otherwise the decay can spread, and they might lose their tooth.
Discuss with your child things they can do to fight plaque and keep their teeth healthy, like brushing their teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and flossing every day. Show your child how to correctly brush and floss their teeth.
Talk about other things they can do to promote good oral health and protect their teeth, like:
- Cutting down on snacks and sweets
- Eating a balanced diet that includes all food groups
- Not using their teeth to open packages or chew on pencils and other objects
- Wearing a mouth guard when they play sports
Don’t forget to schedule regular checkups and professional cleanings for your child at Danville Family Dentistry. Call our Hendricks County office today at 317-745-4400.
By emphasizing these lessons about good oral health with your children, you can help them get and keep their smile bright and healthy throughout their childhood and into their adult years.