Do you have missing teeth? The staff at Danville Family Dentistry understands how unsightly missing teeth can be and how tooth loss can interfere with eating and speaking. For years, the only treatment options available to Hendricks County residents were bridges and dentures. But the availability of dental implants has changed all of that.
A popular and effective way to replace missing teeth, dental implants look and feel like natural teeth. And, with proper care, they’re a long-term solution for restoring your smile.
To understand what a dental implant is, think about what a tooth looks like. A tooth has two main parts. The crown is the pearly-white part that you see when you smile. The root, which is below the gum line, anchors the tooth in the jaw. A dental implant is a tooth replacement system. An artificial tooth root is surgically placed into your jaw to hold a replacement crown.
Dental implants are typically made of titanium, a material that’s compatible with the natural bone in your jaw. The bone attaches itself to the implant, locking it into place. This process, called osseointegration, creates a strong and sturdy foundation to support the replacement tooth and withstand daily use.
Types of Dental Implants
There are two types of dental implants:
- Endosteal implants may be a screw, cylinder or plate, and are surgically placed into the jaw bone. This type of implant can hold one or more replacement teeth. It’s the most commonly used type of implant.
- Subperiosteal are used f you have a shallow jaw bone and can’t — or don’t to want to — undergo a procedure to rebuild your jaw bone. A custom-made metal framework can be fitted under the gum, but on or above the jaw bone.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Some reasons why Hendricks County patients choose to have dental implants are:
- They improve your smile since they look and feel like your own teeth.
- They eliminate the discomfort of wearing dentures.
- They allow you to speak more easily without worrying that your bridge or denture may slip.
- They enable chewing more effectively and without pain.
If you’re interested in learning more about dental implants and if they might be a good option for you, schedule an appointment at Danville Family Dentistry. Dr. Jon Erickson can examine you at our Hendricks County office and determine if you would be a good candidate for dental implants.