A friend of mine frequently teases that she could carry her teeth in her purse. Of course, she is making light of the fact that she’s worn dentures for two decades. But according to a 2009 survey conducted by Fixodent Beauty and Aging, my friend is not alone. The survey concluded that more than 20 million women over age 40 wear full dentures or partial dentures. Research conducted by the Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry projected that the number of adults needing dentures would increase from 33.6 million in 1991 to 37.9 million by 2020.
At Danville Family Dentistry, we offer many preventative care options for all ages. But if you’re not one of our many Hendricks County patients and your mouth is a mess, here are some ways to know whether you’re a candidate for dentures:
- You don’t see a dentist twice each year: When you relax in our comfy dental chair at our Hendricks County office every six months, our Danville Family Dentistry staff can look for early signs of any dental issues. When problems are small, we can correct them more easily. Unfortunately, only 61% of Americans saw their family dentist last year.
- Your gums are red and swollen: It is very likely that you’re developing gum disease, the cause of nearly 70% of adult tooth loss.
- Your teeth are loose or shifting, leaving gaps: Those spaces between your teeth may be caused by bone loss, another consequence of gum disease, which starts out as gingivitis. When left untreated, the inflammation can become severe, leading to periodontal disease.
- You struggle with frequent toothaches: Decaying teeth cause this very uncomfortable consequence of poor dental care.
- Some teeth are missing: Think that’s no big deal since your remaining teeth seem healthy? You need to know that when fewer teeth do the work of biting and chewing, the possibility of more tooth loss increases.
- You battle indigestion: If you can’t chew your food well, it won’t digest properly. Plan a visit to Danville Family Dentistry, so we can help you feel more comfortable during and after meals.
- You hide your smile: This situation can affect your self-esteem and self-confidence. Allow Danville Family Dentistry to give your smile back to you and reduce your need for dentures. Call our Hendricks County office today at 317-745-4400 to schedule an appointment.