Did you know that tooth decay is the most common chronic childhood disease? It’s more common than asthma or hay fever! In fact, over half of all 5- to 9-year-old children have at least one cavity or filling. To help keep your Hendricks County child’s smile healthy, it’s important to teach them proper oral care at an early age.
Some ways you can teach your children to take good care of their teeth and gums is to:
- Set an example by practicing good oral care habits yourself. Brush and floss your teeth with your child.
- Make toothbrushing fun. Let them choose their own super-hero or fairy princess toothbrush.
- Show them how to brush their teeth for 2 minutes, twice a day. Play this catchy song to make brushing for 2 minutes fun.
- Have your child pick dental floss in their favorite flavor. Select pre-threaded floss in a holder that’s easier for your child to maneuver around their teeth.
- Serve and encourage them to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Talk about why they shouldn’t eat too many snacks or sugary treats. The sugars in snacks and sweets mix with plaque (a film that sticks to their teeth) to make acids. These acids attack their teeth and make cavities or holes in their teeth. The more sugars they eat, the more cavities they can develop. If a cavity gets too big, they may lose their tooth. Show them how hard it would be to say words like teeth, toys or toothbrush if they didn’t have any teeth.
- Encourage your child’s good oral care habits by having them to play these fun dental-related activities and games.
- Take your child to see Dr. Jon Erickson at Danville Family Dentistry (located in Hendricks County) for regular checkups.
If you don’t have dental insurance, don’t let that stop you from taking your child to see Dr. Erickson. At Danville Family Dentistry, we care about your child’s teeth. That’s why we offer our Smile Saving Plan – so your child receives good oral care. For only $275 a year, your child (ages 16 and younger) can receive:
- 2 professional oral evaluations
- 2 dental cleanings
- 2 fluoride treatments
- Regularly scheduled X-rays
If your child has any dental issues that require other dental procedures, you’ll receive 15% off of the cost if your child is signed up with the Smile Savings Plan.
Help your Hendricks County child maintain good oral care. Call Danville Family Dentistry at 317-745-4400 to register your child in our Smile Savings Plan.