Did you know that regular dental exams can help keep your mouth healthy and protect your general well-being? Just like a physical or annual exam at your doctor’s office, a dental exam or checkup at Danville Family Dentistry in Hendricks County is an important step in your preventative health care.
At a dental exam, Dr. Jon Erickson will monitor the health of your teeth and gums, so he can catch any dental problems early before they get worse. If he does find any problems, he can recommend possible treatments. Plus, he can provide you with tips on how to care for your smile to keep it healthy.
During a oral exam, one of the dental hygienists or Dr. Erickson may:
- Review and update your medical history with you, such as changes in your health or medications since your last visit. Different diseases can affect your dental care. Also certain medications can cause dry mouth or other problems.
- Ask about any oral problems you may be having like tooth pain or sensitivity.
- Go over your daily oral care, such as how often you’re brushing and flossing your teeth.
- Take dental x-rays.
- Check for signs of tooth decay, gum inflammation and other issues.
- Look for signs of oral cancer or other diseases.
- Inspect your head and neck area for abnormalities.
- Evaluate your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Check your bite and jaw for problems.
- Determine if you may need tooth restoration or replacement.
- Remove tartar deposits on your teeth with a dental tool.
- Clean and polish your teeth.
- Apply a fluoride treatment, especially if you’re under the age of 18, if needed.
- Apply a dental sealant to areas that may be prone to tooth decay.
- Provide instructions on how to better care for your teeth and gums.
- Demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques, or denture care if you have dentures.
- Make treatment recommendations if needed.
Not all of these activities are part of a standard dental exam, but may be included in a more comprehensive exam, especially if you’re a new patient at Danville Family Dentistry of Hendricks County. Also, the order in which these activities are done may vary, too.
Remember, dental exams are your time to ask questions about your dental health. And if you have any questions about why certain procedures are being done during your visit, just ask Dr. Erickson or the dental hygienist.
On average, you should schedule a regular dental exam with Danville Family Dentistry every six months. However, Dr. Erickson may recommend more frequent visits depending upon your dental needs.
Schedule your dental checkup today at our convenient Hendricks County location by calling 317-745-4400.